Online Dating Safety Tips

Home Forums Dating Online Dating Safety Tips

This topic contains 13 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  LizCro 3 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

LizCro

I’ve been around the online dating scene for a very long time. I was using the internet to meet people before it was cool and socially acceptable. I’ve also been using computers since a hard drive was the size of a washing machine and it took two people to change the disk. Guess that happens when you’re an old fossil. :p

Anyhow, I’d like to offer some safety advice for finding your next love online. First thing, take whats posted in someone’s profile with a grain of salt. One the wonderous things about the internet is you can be whoever you want to be. It can also be one of the greatest pitfalls.

Take time to email the person, chat with them on an instant messenger program like Yahoo or MSN. Get to know them before you give out your phone number or worse where you live. Again, take what they say with a grain of salt.

I had a situation where I was talking to a guy online for months. We had great conversations but I didn’t want to meet with him in person because I was in the middle if getting some dental work done (could have eaten corn through a fence at the time :eek:). We exchanged phone numbers and continued with more great conversation over the phone. One night I got an irate phone call from a woman who wanted to know just what the hell I wanted from her husband. Guess who’s wife it was?

When you do set up a meeting with the person, try to make it close to home, in a pubic place. Even better, a place where people know who you are. I’m fortunate enough to live directly across the street from a nice bar and grill. The locals there know me and it’s usually where I set up a first meeting. I also have someone call me about a hour or so into the date to make sure everything is ok. I call that person at pre-arranged regular intervals to check in and let them know I’m ok and where I am.

Keep your personal safety first and foremost in your mind. It’s not a rare occurrence to meet someone who’s intentions are less than noble.

johngdating

Good tips Liz.
    The biggest one is to ALWAYS HAVE THE FIRST MEETING IN A PUBLIC PLACE-a coffee shop, restaurant. etc.
    I also highly recommend that you have the first meeting in the day time-coffee or lunch rather than a bar or dinner. The first meeting is not really a date-it is more like a pre-date meeting, to see what the other person looks like and if they match with the expectation/impression you of them from the email/chat/phone conversations before.
    Regards,
    John
    Founder
    Dating-profile.com

admin
    Keymaster
    johngdating;828 wrote:

Good tips Liz.
    The biggest one is to ALWAYS HAVE THE FIRST MEETING IN A PUBLIC PLACE-a coffee shop, restaurant. etc.
    I also highly recommend that you have the first meeting in the day time-coffee or lunch rather than a bar or dinner. The first meeting is not really a date-it is more like a pre-date meeting, to see what the other person looks like and if they match with the expectation/impression you of them from the email/chat/phone conversations before.
    Regards,
    John
    Founder
    Dating-profile.com

Thank you very much …
    In fact iam looking for such tips to go for a date.. It really helped me a lot.

LizCro
    Bernard;829 wrote:

Thank you very much …
    In fact iam looking for such tips to go for a date.. It really helped me a lot.

Another nice place to set up a first date with a person you met online, might be a public park for a picnic. Bring a throw to sit on, maybe a cool drink for both of you, some fruit and spend the afternoon getting to know each other.

CemInsom73

As I have said before, two of the finest girlfriends I have ever had came from online dating. Mad love, mad sex, mad joy. Spectacular times I continue to treasure.

Is that romantic enough for you?

Elle

Be safe!

Please, please, please follow some simple steps before meeting up face-to-face with someone you don’t know

Let a friend or family know who, where, and timings
    Try and meet in a place you feel comfortable with the surroundings or if that’s not possible try and visit the meeting place beforehand
    Take a mobile phone with you in case you get into difficulty

Dating All Hours has some more useful links last time I looked datingallhours.com/useful/datingsafety.aspx

carmend

There are many dating site provide safety.But if you can meet friends online you can make be careful and do not give very very personal information about yourself.

mariyakhan

WOW….. what a great forum to join. thanks all for such nice tips and information you all shared

dagaul101

Great and sound advice, meeting in public, and letting someone phone you in the middle of the date is a very prudent move

use your best judgement

welovedates

I also think it’s important to tell someone where you’re going and who you’re going with, and when you should be back. Better safe than sorry!

checkonme

Hi all!

We have developed a personal safety app for mobile phones called checkon.me and would really love to get feedback from the online dating community.

The app allows you to have up to five contacts of your choice notified should you fail to check in by a preset time. The contacts are alerted by email and SMS and shown a map with your location.

You can also trigger an alarm immedietly via a panic button.

The app has the advantage of not having to tell lots of people what you are doing but at the same time knowing that they will be alerted if you need them.

We really want to help to make these inherently risky activities a little safer so please do get in touch with suggestions.

Online dating services protect your anonymity at all times and provide tools to block and report bad apples, as well as online dating safety tips like these. Make a slow and steady start with online dating. When you start exploring the world of online dating over the web, choose a dating service which comes with some credibility.

Online dating can be a good way to meet people, but it could also be dangerous. It is possible to have all your information stolen, which could lead to identity theft, or it could also compromise your safety. When you do decide to meet a person you’ve met on an online dating site in person, it is best to arrange this first meeting in a public place, and meet them there so that you have your own transportation.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.